By the Numbers: Motorists Charged in Emsworth DUI Checkpoint
Officers from the West Hills DUI Task Force on March 16 conducted a checkpoint on Ohio River Boulevard.
Officers from a dozen local police departments stopped motorists traveling along Ohio River Boulevard in Emsworth during a checkpoint intended to net drunken driving arrests.
The checkpoint, conducted from 10 p.m. March 16 to 3 a.m. March 17, was a part of the West Hills DUI Task Force's regular patrols.
The regional police group, funded through state grant dollars, works to deter impaired driving in the Pittsburgh region.
According to Moon Sgt. Doug Ogden, director of the task force:
- 11 people were charged with drunken driving during the checkpoint
- 4 people were charged with drug possession
- 890 cars passed through the checkpoint
- 7 people were cited for driving with a suspended license
- 14 people were cited for traffic violations
Police from Sewickley, Edgeworth, Coraopolis, Leetsdale, Bellevue, Avalon, Moon, Robinson, North Fayette, Ohio Township, and Findlay took part in the effort.