Five Activities to Enjoy in Sewickley This Spring
Here is a list of fun ways to celebrate the arrival of the first day of spring.
Celebrating the arrival of spring with your family and friends can be really fun and refreshing after a long winter. Now that the first day of spring has arrived and the weather is finally improving, it's time to break free from cabin fever, get some fresh air and enjoy fun outdoor activities.
Here are five fun ideas to try in Sewickley:
1) Take to the trails. Explore a trail near you at a local park, including the Mary Roberts Rinehart Nature Park or Sewickley Heights Borough Park, or plan a day trip and a longer hike at the Montour Trail, which offers guided hikes for individuals and families.
2) Zip to the zoo or your local wildlife or bird sanctuary. Beat the summer crowds and enjoy a visit to the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium or the National Aviary. You may find the animals are outside and more active as they emerge to enjoy the warmer weather too. You'll enjoy the visit even more if you bring some binoculars, which you can purchase at Dick's Sporting Goods.
3) Hit the water. You can rent a kayak or canoe with Venture Outdoors or head to the Glenfield Boat Launch and take off on the Ohio River. Spring is also a great time to take a class to learn how to row, canoe or kayak.
4) Start a garden. Now is the time to get your garden beds ready for planting by putting down compost. New to gardening? Join one of the many local gardening clubs or volunteer at the Sewickley Community Center Food Pantry. You can learn to build your garden beds and offer advice on which flowers and veggies will do well in your climate. And kids can help start the garden too by planting seeds indoors in empty egg cartons that can be transferred outside into your garden beds in just a few weeks. You can find great soil and seeds to get started at Robinson's Home and Garden.
5) Enjoy your flea and farmer’s markets. In many parts of the country, outdoor markets can be found all year round or from early spring to late fall. You can visit the St. James Farmer's Market starting on Saturday, April 6. The market opens from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first Saturday in April through the last Saturday in November.
TELL US: How will you celebrate the arrival of spring here in town? Share your ideas for getting outside and enjoying the warmer weather in the comments section below.
Check out some of today's other top stories here.