Sewickley Family Displaced After House Fire
The fire originated from an electrical outlet in an upstairs bedroom, according to Cochran Hose Fire Chief Jeff Neff and the Allegheny County Fire Marshal.
A Sewickley family is displaced from their Nevin Avenue home today following a bedroom fire that occurred just days before Christmas.
“They will be displaced for awhile. I’m not sure when they’ll get back in,” Cochran Hose Fire Chief Jeff Neff said.
The Allegheny County Fire Marshal has determined the fire at 860 Nevin Ave. on the corner of Crescent Avenue was caused by an electrical outlet in the wall, where the fire originated. Fire officials said it was unclear if the outlet was overloaded.
Neff said the family thankfully wasn’t home when the fire started around 5 p.m. Saturday. Cochran Hose Co. firefighters responded after a neighbor saw smoke and called 911.
When firefighters arrived, Neff said smoke was showing from the second floor, billowing from the windows and eaves of the house.
The home belongs to Jackson Carpenter, according to Allegheny County assessment records.
Neff, who is familiar with the family, sent in a search crew to make sure no one was inside. The first crew came out with negative results and a second search crew was sent in, also finding no one, he said.
Attack crews then went inside the house and found the fire in the second-floor bedroom. Neff said they were able to extinguish the flames and cut off the fire extension into the floors. The ceiling was also checked for fire, he said.
Fire was contained to the bedroom, where damage included singed floorboards. The home also suffered heat and smoke damage.
Neff said the family of two is expected to be displaced temporarily. Friends took the couple in for the night and the American Red Cross is assisting them.
Aleppo Township Volunteer Fire Department also assisted.