A long-term road project to improve Fern Hollow Road in Sewickley Hills will begin Monday, Nov. 12 and last through late December, according to PennDOT.
What this means for travelers is the road will be fully closed to through-traffic beginning at 7 a.m. on Monday around-the-clock through late December. The road will remain open to the work area only for local traffic.
Jim Struzzi, PennDOT spokesman, said the project involves extending an existing retaining wall, improving drainage and repairing a slide on Fern Hollow Road between Duff City Road and Camp Meeting Road.
The roadway has been partially closed for at least a year in the area. About 1,009 vehicles use Fern Hollow Road on an average day.
When work is completed, traffic on Fern Hollow Road will be restored to normal patterns, Struzzi said.
Lone Pine Construction of Bentleville, PA, will perform the work under a $1.4 contract for various improvement projects in the PennDOT district 11.
Detour signs will be posted to guide motorists.
From the south:
- Take Sewickley Creek Road west
- Turn right Beaver Road/Street in Leetsdale Borough
- Travel west on Beaver Street
- Make right onto Main Street
- Turn right onto Ambridge Avenue
- Continue north (Ambridge Avenue becomes Big Sewickley Creek Road Route 4036)
- Bear right onto Hitzell Hill Road
- Make left onto Camp Meeting Road
- Access Fern Hollow Road
- End detour
From the north:
- Follow same detour in opposite direction