UPDATE: Wendy's reopened on Thursday, a day after a grease fire in the kitchen.
If you're craving a Frosty or an old-fashioned hamburger, you won’t get it Wednesday night at the Wendy’s in the Quaker Village Shopping Center.
The Leetsdale fast-food restaurant closed for maintenance following a grease fire that ignited shortly after 3 p.m. Wednesday.
Firefighters responded to the restaurant at 3:07 p.m. after receiving a report of a stove fire that couldn’t be extinguished.
"Basically they had an accident with grease down there and the grease was ignited on their cook top," said Leetsdale Fire Chief Ernie Logan. "They were unable to put it out so we ended up helping them put it out with fire extinguishers."
Logan said there was some damage to the wiring in the kitchen, but the cook top and the fryer are usable and intact. Firefighters isolated the equipment and ventilated the place.
Patrons were in the restaurant at the time and everyone made it out safely. No injuries were reported.
"They’ll be closed for a little bit for clean up," Logan said.
A sign on the doors and windows read "closed for maintenance." Employees remained inside hours after closing Hungry patrons, meanwhile, continued to try the locked doors and the drive-through, only to leave disappointed.
Logan said the restaurant should be open later Wednesday or by lunchtime Thursday at the latest.
The restaurant has to be reinspected by the Allegheny County Health Department and needs Logan's permission before it can reopen.