By Aafke Loney
Tips for attending college fairs:
Pittsburgh will be hosting the NACAC (National Association for College Admission Counseling) at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center on Thursday, February 6 from 9:00am-12:00pm and 6:00pm–8:30pm and Friday, February 7 from 9:00am-12:00pm. For more information please go to the NCAC site: http://www.nacacnet.org/college-fairs/SpringNCF/Pages/default.aspx
Here are some tips for attending a college fair as recommended by the NACAC site*:
Before the Fair...
Answer the following questions to help determine what kind of school would be best for you:
• Do you want to attend a two- or four-year institution? Co-ed or single sex?
• What size school do you want to attend?
• What programs of study are you considering?
• How far from home do you want to go?
• Do you wish to participate in any specific extra-curricular activities or athletics?
• Do you want to attend a school in an urban, suburban or rural environment?
• Do you require any special services (i.e. tutoring, note takers, readers, TDD or interpreters)?
1. Discuss your college plans with your guidance counselor, family, teachers and friends.
2. Research your colleges of interest on the Internet and in your guidance office/library.
3. Check dates and registration deadlines for college entrance examinations.
5. Watch this video for more information about what happens at a NACAC College Fair!
6. Download and print the checklist to take with you to the Fair.
At the Fair...
1. Pick up a bag and a fair directory.
2. Visit with colleges and universities, which you feel, meet your criteria.
3. Talk with a college counselor at the Counseling Center if you have any questions or need help with your college search.
4. Attend a workshop.
After the Fair…
Watch the videos about preventing anxiety during your college search and financial aid options on the NCAC site.
Business and Education Connected, LLC provides high school and college students' person centered planning to prepare them for their post secondary education and career decisions. For additional information please visit our web site at www.business-education-connected.com or contact us:
Aafke Loney: 412-496-2389 or email@example.com
Christine Ricci: 412.303.9822 or firstname.lastname@example.org