For those commemorating Ash Wednesday, we have a list of churches and services observing the day:
- Sewickley United Methodist Church, 337 Broad St., will combine services with St. Matthews AME Church for Ash Wednesday. There will be a covered dish dinner at St. Matthews, 345 Thorn St., at 6 p.m. Folks from Sewickley are asked to bring side dishes, salads and desserts to share. Ash Wednesday services will follow at 7 p.m. The combined service held at St. Matthew’s will include the imposition of ashes.
- At St. James Church, 200 Walnut St., Ash Wednesday Mass will be celebrated at 6:45 a.m., 9 a.m., noon (ashes only) and 7 p.m.Ashes will also be distributed at 2:30 p.m. on the first floor at Heritage Valley Sewickley hospital, near the chapel. Stations of the Cross is every Friday at 1:30 and 7 p.m.
- The Presbyterian Church, 414 Grant St., will observe Ash Wednesday at noon in the chapel and at 7:30 p.m. in the sanctuary.
- 405 Frederick Ave., will observe Ash Wednesday with a 7 p.m. service in the sanctuary. The Lenten Dinner series called "The Real Jesus" will be on Wednesdays, starting Feb. 13, where a pot-luck supper will be shared starting at 6:30 p.m. and the speaker at 7 p.m. Childcare will be provided.
- Ash Wednesday services at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 616 Washington St., begin with dinner and fellowship in the Sunday School room at 6:30 p.m., followed by worship at 7:15 p.m. The same schedule of services will continue to take place every Wednesday through Lent.
- Mass at St. Mary's Church at 444 Glenfield Road, Aleppo will be celebrated at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- St. Joseph Church, 1313 Fifth Ave., Coraopolis, will distribute ashes at 8 a.m., noon and 7 p.m. Mass.