Not letting the snow keep you cooped up at home? Planning a driving trip today or before the New Year?
Pennsylvania State Police in Moon Township offer these tips and suggestions for safe highway travel during this holiday week, when traffic traditionally is heavier than usual:
- Be courteous and obey all traffic laws.
- Anticipate traffic around all exits to major shopping venues.
- Allot additional travel time if you plan to drive to or through a shopping district or other congested area.
- Wear seat belts and make sure children are secured in child-safety seats.
- Make sure your vehicle’s lights—front and rear—are working properly and use them during the appropriate hours to be sure your vehicle is visible to others.
- Do not operate a vehicle if you are drowsy, tired, using medication, have consumed alcohol or have used drugs.
- Make sure your vehicle has been properly maintained before setting out on a trip to avoid breakdowns.
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle, along with a charged cell phone for emergency use.
Troopers also remind motorists who are involved in a fender-bender crash to merge safely to the right berm, exchange information there and proceed to their destinations.
If a vehicle cannot be driven or someone requires medical attention after a crash, please dial “911” for assistance.