Sunday, December 23, 2012
The fire originated from an electrical outlet in an upstairs bedroom, according to Cochran Hose Fire Chief Jeff Neff and the Allegheny County Fire Marshal.
A Sewickley family is displaced from their Nevin Avenue home today following a bedroom fire that occurred just days before Christmas. “They will be displaced for awhile. I’m not sure when they’ll get back in,” Cochran Hose Fire Chief Jeff Neff said. The Allegheny County Fire Marshal has determined the fire at 860 Nevin Ave. on the corner of Crescent Avenue was caused by an electrical outlet in the wall, where the fire originated. Fire officials said it was unclear if the outlet was overloaded. Neff said the family thankfully wasn’t home when the fire started around 5 p.m. Saturday. Cochran Hose Co. firefighters responded after a neighbor saw smoke and called 911. When firefighters arrived, Neff said smoke was showing from the second floor…
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
No one was injured and there is no major damage, fire officials said.
Cochran Hose Co. firefighters responded early Tuesday to B Gourmet, an organic eatery and grocery in Sewickley, after smoke filled the store. Fire Chief Jeff Neff said the store at 428 Beaver St. was unoccupied at 4:30 a.m. when firefighters were called to the building. When they arrived, Neff said the whole first floor was filled with smoke. Water boiled off a pot left simmering overnight on the stove, resulting in the smoke. Neff said they were able to get the pot off the stove and ventilate the store. There was no major damage and no one was injured, he said. The store is open and employees said the incident won't affect Thanksgiving orders, which are still being taken. -- Like Sewickley Patch on Facebook or follow us on Twitter . …
Thursday, October 4, 2012
Edgeworth police said the man fell 12 feet from a ladder Thursday morning.
A construction worker was injured today after falling 12 feet from a ladder inside the Esmark building under construction in Edgeworth. Edgeworth police Patrolman Paul Yonlisky said the subcontractor, who was not identified, was standing on a ladder in a stairwell at the Hazel Lane construction site when the ladder began to shift. Unable to steady the ladder, Yolinsky said the man fell about 12 feet and landed on his left leg and hip. He said the worker was "hurting bad" but his injuries were not life threatening. Cochran Hose Co. was called about 10:15 a.m. to assist Valley Ambulance with retrieving the man from the building’s fourth floor. Fire Chief Jeff Neff said there is no elevator inside the building and firefighters originally …
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
The fire occurred in a welding shop at the former C&E Marina in Glenfield Borough.
Local fire departments were called Wednesday evening to extinguish a fire at a Glenfield business along the Ohio River. Firefighters responded shortly before 7 p.m. to the former C&E Marina at 200 Dawson Ave. in Glenfield. The building houses a welding shop where the fire originated, according to fire officials. KDKA reported the cause of the fire was electrical related. At one point, some wires fell down and hit a metal roof, causing sparks, according to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. The Emsworth Volunteer Fire Department, which provides fire service to Glenfield, responded with mutual aid assistance from local departments, including the Aleppo Volunteer Fire Department and Cochran Hose Fire Company in Sewickley.
Monday, June 18, 2012
The World War II veteran died Saturday at 91 years old.
A Sewickley resident and lifelong member of Cochran Hose Fire Co. who served for years as a Pittsburgh homicide detective died on Saturday at his borough home. He was 91. Joseph Start was a World War II veteran who spent 28 years as a county detective, starting shortly after he returned home from serving with the Army Air Forces, according to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Cochran Hose Fire Chief Jeff Neff said Start was a longtime member of the fire company, since joining in 1961. Start served 25 years before retiring from the fire department in 1986. He continued as a lifetime member, serving in that capacity for another 25 years, Neff said. "He'll be greatly missed and was well liked by everybody," Neff said. The flag at the borough …
Saturday, May 19, 2012
Local police, firefighters and EMTs met with members of the public Saturday at Valley Ambulance's University Boulevard headquarters.
Emergency crews from Sewickley, Moon and Crescent stopped by Valley Ambulance's Moon headquarters Saturday in honor of National Emergency Medical Services Week. First-responders were on hand at the University Boulevard location to meet with the public, provide tours of vehicles and demonstrations of their work. Click through the gallery above to view photos from the event.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
The two-car accident happened on Route 65 at Hazel Lane in Edgeworth.
A motorist was taken by ambulance to the hospital today following a two-car crash shortly after 4 p.m. on Route 65, according to local officials. Edgeworth police responded to the crash at the intersection of 65 and Hazel Lane. A Hopewell Township man who didn't want to be identified said he was southbound attempting to turn left from 65 onto Hazel when his car collided with the other vehicle near the Edgeworth Village plaza. The man said he wasn't injured and was wearing a seatbelt. "It happened so fast," he said. Northbound traffic was reduced to one lane while emergency personnel worked to clear the scene. Both cars were towed. Sewickley police and Cochran Hose Fire Company assisted. Check back with Patch for updates.