Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Neighbors report an odd smell coming from inside a Broad Street garage.
An Allegheny County Hazardous Materials team was summoned Tuesday night to Leetsdale to investigate a mysterious smell coming from a neighborhood garage. Leetsdale Fire Chief Ernie Logan said the odor turned out to be an acid spill in the stand-alone garage at 169 Broad St. The spill was contained to the building and the owner, Bob Kunsak of Moon Township, is now responsible for hiring a hazardous materials team to clean up the remaining spill. Neighbors first smelled the odor in the area of 169 Broad St. and alerted the borough fire chief, who then notified the police. Authorities responded around 8 p.m. and determined a chemical-like smell was coming from inside an old brick garage near Mohawk Alley, where vehicles and materials are …
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
The Quaker Village Shopping Center restaurant is closed temporarily to undergo maintenance.
UPDATE: Wendy's reopened on Thursday, a day after a grease fire in the kitchen. If you're craving a Frosty or an old-fashioned hamburger, you won’t get it Wednesday night at the Wendy’s in the Quaker Village Shopping Center. The Leetsdale fast-food restaurant closed for maintenance following a grease fire that ignited shortly after 3 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters responded to the restaurant at 3:07 p.m. after receiving a report of a stove fire that couldn’t be extinguished. "Basically they had an accident with grease down there and the grease was ignited on their cook top," said Leetsdale Fire Chief Ernie Logan. "They were unable to put it out so we ended up helping them put it out with fire extinguishers." Logan said there was some damage…
Monday, September 17, 2012
Severely burned in a fire at his Seven Fields townhouse last year, the running backs coach talks to ESPN about that night—and making his way back to the football field.
Just 48 hours before the Pittsburgh Steelers Wildcard playoffs loss to the Denver Broncos in January, a fire broke out in the kitchen of Kirby Wilson’s townhome in Seven Fields. A veteran running backs coach with the Steelers, Wilson suffered second- and third-degree burns on almost half of his body from the flames. He also had lung damage from a smoke-inhalation injury. Three months later, Wilson, who initially was put into a medically induced coma, was returning to Steelers headquarters to participate in the NFL draft. By the time training camp rolled around in July, he was jogging up and down the sidelines with his players. On Sunday, Wilson opened up about his recovery to ESPN’s Josina Anderson. Also speaking to Anderson in that …
Friday, September 14, 2012
Several fire departments battle the blaze at 541 Merchant St. in downtown Ambridge.
A fire at Charles Men’s Store in Ambridge drew crowds Friday morning as fire crews worked to battle the stubborn flames. Firefighters were called about 5:40 a.m. to the longtime fixture at 541 Merchant St, in the heart of the Ambridge business district. “This one’s finished,” said Tom Patrician, president of the Ambridge Chamber of Commerce, as he watched flames shoot from the roof. “That’s just going to be a hole when this is over,” he said. Six people evacuated safely from upstairs apartments at the three-story structure. One person was taken to Heritage Valley Sewickley hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and two firefighters who were in a stairwell inside the building when the stairs collapsed, declined to be evaluated for …
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
The fire occurred in a welding shop at the former C&E Marina in Glenfield Borough.
Local fire departments were called Wednesday evening to extinguish a fire at a Glenfield business along the Ohio River. Firefighters responded shortly before 7 p.m. to the former C&E Marina at 200 Dawson Ave. in Glenfield. The building houses a welding shop where the fire originated, according to fire officials. KDKA reported the cause of the fire was electrical related. At one point, some wires fell down and hit a metal roof, causing sparks, according to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. The Emsworth Volunteer Fire Department, which provides fire service to Glenfield, responded with mutual aid assistance from local departments, including the Aleppo Volunteer Fire Department and Cochran Hose Fire Company in Sewickley.
Monday, June 18, 2012
The World War II veteran died Saturday at 91 years old.
A Sewickley resident and lifelong member of Cochran Hose Fire Co. who served for years as a Pittsburgh homicide detective died on Saturday at his borough home. He was 91. Joseph Start was a World War II veteran who spent 28 years as a county detective, starting shortly after he returned home from serving with the Army Air Forces, according to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Cochran Hose Fire Chief Jeff Neff said Start was a longtime member of the fire company, since joining in 1961. Start served 25 years before retiring from the fire department in 1986. He continued as a lifetime member, serving in that capacity for another 25 years, Neff said. "He'll be greatly missed and was well liked by everybody," Neff said. The flag at the borough …
Sunday, June 10, 2012
The Allegheny County Fire Marshal is now investigating.
Several area fire departments responded early this morning for a structure fire at Marino's Italian Kitchen in Sewickley. Cochran Hose Co. Fire Chief Jeff Neff said when firefighters arrived at 616 Beaver St., the flames were showing from the back of the restaurant on Beaver Street. Neff said firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to a storage refrigerator and office area to the side of the kitchen. Neff said the building suffered smoke damage throughout and structural damage in the storage area, but the fire was brought under control by about 5 a.m. and didn’t reach the dining area. “The guys did a good job,” Neff said. Firefighters were initially called at 3:30 a.m. for a report of heavy smoke in the area, Neff said. …
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Investigators said they've determined that running backs coach Kirby Wilson was injured while trying to put out the flames in a kitchen blaze.
Investigators have determined that grease ignited to cause the blaze that severely burned Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson last month at his home in Seven Fields, a state police fire marshal said today. Trooper Luke Nelson of the state police barracks in Butler said Wilson had been cooking chicken at about 2:45 a.m. Jan. 6 in the kitchen of his townhome on Jameson Way when the stove caught fire. Nelson said evidence suggests Wilson, 50, was injured when he attempted to put out the flames. The coach, who still is undergoing medical treatment at UPMC Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, has little or no recollection of the fire, Nelson said. The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. According to a statement from the Steelers …
Monday, January 30, 2012
From the office of Magisterial District Judge Robert Ford.
A former food manager at a local golf club is accused of stealing $1,800 from the business, according to Bell Acres police. Dawn Penzera, 39, of Greensburg, is charged with two counts of theft and one count of providing false identification to law enforcement. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for next week. Bell Acres police said Penzera was food manager at the Sewickley Heights Golf Club when she was given $1,800 to pay an entertainment company for services provided on Aug. 26. But a manager at the private club told police the company was never paid. Penzera was in contact with the entertainment company, informing them numerous times that they would get their money, police said. Police said Penzera told the company she had cashed the …
Sunday, January 22, 2012
From the office of Magisterial District Judge Robert Ford.
The following people were charged and scheduled for preliminary hearings Jan. 17 at District Judge Robert Ford's office in Leetsdale: Postponed Waived Reduced